[nycbug-talk] Charles M. Hannum on NetBSD

michael lists at genoverly.net
Fri Sep 1 15:44:37 EDT 2006

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 15:32:11 -0400
"Marc Spitzer" <mspitzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/06, George R. <george at sddi.net> wrote:
> >
> > With all the civil wars that have taken place in the open source
> > world, I'm a little shocked when submerged civil wars like this
> > become press release material.
> >
> > This is somewhere between some people losing commit privileges and
> > the OpenBSD split. . . and it's being portrayed as the former, but
> > seems to be more of the later.
> >
> > I really don't know why the NBSD Foundation would be publicizing
> > this. . .

> Could be a case of get your spin out first, iff they think that there
> will be a mess created by the ex developers it makes sense to try to
> minimize it before it gets going
>
> marc

Yes, but.. Hannum was on the list of dismissed.  Looks like he "got his
spin on" before the official announcement.

>From a user's perspective, NetBSD puts out a solid product.  Why
would they publicize this?  Marc gave one reason.  Another is.. because
hiding secrets in an open source project could be counter-productive.
It looks like they are just doing some house cleaning and it creating a
little noise.

Hey, we know many of the guys here in NYC.. maybe they could shed a
little light.

--

Michael