[nycbug-talk] Charles M. Hannum on NetBSD

Jan Schaumann jschauma at netmeister.org
Fri Sep 1 20:34:06 EDT 2006

"George R." <george at sddi.net> wrote:

> This is somewhere between some people losing commit privileges and the
> OpenBSD split. . . and it's being portrayed as the former, but seems to
> be more of the later.
>
> I really don't know why the NBSD Foundation would be publicizing this. . .

The NetBSD Foundation published this because the NetBSD Foundation
believes that open communication with their users on all matters is
important.  NetBSD is an _Open_ Source project, after all.

As stated in the announcement, a lot of effort has been put into getting
the developers to sign the developer's agreement.  Some have chosen not
to sign the agreement.  Since their contributions are valued, they are
not silently "kicked out", but instead they are publicly thanked for
their work.  Regrettably have to relinquish their privileges, but it
would be trivial for them to gain them back (by signing said agreement).

Note: I do not speak on behalf of the NetBSD Foundation.  This is my
personal take on things.

-Jan

--
Free Speech Online - Stop Internet Censorship
   --- Electronic Frontier Foundation -- http://www.eff.org ---