[nycbug-talk] ipfw, ipf, pf comparison matrix

Dru dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca
Sat Sep 9 19:21:51 EDT 2006

Okay, so I'm into firewalls and incomplete charts bug me...

Here's a start at a table that only compares ipfw and pf. Functionality
has been alphabetized. Comparisons were interesting as similar
functionality was described using different terminology in the
documentation for the two firewalls.

I haven't had a need to make firewall rules that included the IP fields
with ipfw keywords (man ipfw) and would appreciate anyone confirming if pf
also allows you to refer to those fields and how to do so.

I'd also like feedback on further functionality that should be added to
the chart and a reference proving that a missing * is indeed possible in
that firewall.

Have fun :-)

Dru

---