[nycbug-talk] ipfw, ipf, pf comparison matrix

Chris Buechler nycbug at chrisbuechler.com
Wed Sep 13 17:26:16 EDT 2006

Isaac Levy wrote:
> So I've gotten some polite offlist replies to this already,
> basically, I've been told the list is fairly out of date, especially
> where PF is concerned.

Since Scott and I created that matrix, we realized we botched up a
couple things and we never updated the presentation that Ike pulled that
from.  Actually we realized I think one of them during the presentation,
and have caught at least a couple more since then.  Creating that was a
pretty adventurous undertaking, and we started it entirely too soon
before the presentation (we didn't start that part until we were in
Ottawa).

pf has changed since then as well (and probably even more so because we
were pulling features from the FreeBSD man pages for all that, and
OpenBSD pf is always a bit ahead of the FreeBSD port).

I'm swamped right now, but if anyone has any corrections, I'll gladly
make note of them and update that matrix accordingly as soon as I have
time.

Cheers,
-Chris