[nycbug-talk] spread and wackamole, (Was Re: ucarp question)

Trish Lynch trish at bsdunix.net
Fri Sep 15 07:37:11 EDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Sidenote: PLEASE pretty please don't send any answers like 'just use
> carp(4)', I'm trying to get ucarp working for a definite reason
> here.  If you haven't heard of ucarp, check it out here:
> http://www.ucarp.org/

Curious as to the reason, as I may actually have something else that might
meet your requirement....

Even if it doesn't, its good to get the word out as not many are using it,
and its rather cool in both implementation and the fact that its seems
more reliable than anything else I've used.

http://www.dsn.jhu.edu/pastProjects.html

Has two projects, spread, and wackamole, I use almost exclusively in
projects that need network redundancy and also, I've been playing with
WALRUS for load balancing as well (though an external load balancer such
as Linux Virtual Server, serves me better usually, it depends on the
requirements of the project).

I used to work for Theo Schlossnagle at OmniTI and the guy IMO is a
genius and its sad that the most used OSS projects he's worked on are
mod_backhand and the SecureID integration into OpenSSH, though I had to
leave because of illness (back in 2003 when my fibromyalgia first was
diagnosed and I couldn;t physically deal with the symptoms, and I had no
decent "medical help" like I do now...) I still respect the work we did
there, including the ecelerity MTA which is totally amazing.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16