[nycbug-talk] BSD Chapter in HLE

George R. george at sddi.net
Fri Sep 15 18:05:41 EDT 2006

Ray Lai wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 01:58:37PM -0400, George R. wrote:
>> and add in ports/pkg_src, etc. . . checksum checks. . .
>
> systrace can be used during ports builds to contain trojaned sources.

systrace is certainly worth putting in, and it ups the control that an
admin or developer has. . .

IMHO, it also is the open source reply to much of the IPS functionality.

>>>  	- PAM
>> do all have PAM support now?
>
> Not OpenBSD.

that's what i thought.

>>>  	- /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>> question of root enabled by default, although I think this has changed
>> now with obsd.
>
> Nope, still enabled.

double negative time. . . I don't have a recent obsd box to look at, but
I am stating that I think that obsd *now* enabled default root access as
per sshd_conf.. . am i correct or wrong?

I remember the arguments around this. . .

>>> Securing Applications
>>>  	- jail (sysjail)
>> jails, yes, but is sysjail anywhere yet?
>>
>> and chroot?
>
> chroot and dropping privileges is important.  root can break out of a
> chroot, so you must change to an unprivileged user.  Additionally,
> OpenBSD creates new users and groups for each privilege-revoking
> program, so one cannot another.
>
>> tcp-wrappers. . .
>
> I think packet filters have largely replaced tcp-wrappers.

Mostly . . . but there is a certain continued relevance to both linux
and the bsds. . . and besides, Wietse is speaking at NYCBSDCon . . . ;-)

and dru, don't forget your mtree-as-poorman's-tripwire. . . but again,
found both in linux and the bsds.