[nycbug-talk] BSD Chapter in HLE

michael lists at genoverly.net
Fri Sep 15 18:42:21 EDT 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 18:24:28 -0400 (EDT)
Dru <dlavigne6 at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Myself, I always cvsup, build world and strip custom kernel on
> FreeBSD systems. OpenBSD systems I leave the world/kernel as-is.

OpenBSD binary upgrades (snapshots) are superfast.  Compared to the
FreeBSD boxen I was keeping, I was startled at how easy it was.

You can boot into bsd.rd (ram disk kernel) or upgrade in-place; update
etc files (mergemaster); upgrade packages (binary, no compile time);
then reboot to freshness.  It barely takes a few minutes.

--

Michael