[nycbug-talk] File Backed Disks- Speed Issues

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu Sep 28 14:15:23 EDT 2006

Hey All,

So I'm sad, and wanted to solicit some help to perhaps cheer me up.

SITUATION:
I've been using File-Backed disks via mdconfig(8) with FreeBSD jail
(8) for a very long time.
(I tend to call them 'disk images', Apple vocabulary.)

Creating a New File-Backed Disk with mdconfig:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-
virtual.html#AEN24952
-or-
http://tinyurl.com/gqjjv

Their usefulness, in my enviornment, is that they are far more
flexible to work with in constraining disk size for jails across
machines than any other strategy, (namely, hard disk partitions).

--
My sadness, and my query has to do with speed- or the painful lack of
it.

What I'm saying is, they don't scale.

During the FreeBSD 4.x days, (wow what an era), file-backed disks
were snappy, with little overhead, no? (vn(4) and vnconfig(8),
respectively)

--
In the immediate future, I'm taking some jailing systems back to just
running jails on the filesystem, (and partitioning, yuck), but in the

Hrm...

Rocket-
.ike