[nycbug-talk] File Backed Disks- Speed Issues

David Lawson dave at donnerjack.com
Thu Sep 28 23:30:25 EDT 2006

> Well, erm- I've found the sata systems to be every bit as snappy at
> this scale- (4 drives per 1u box).

There shouldn't be much of a noticeable difference, honestly.  SATA
bandwidth is 300Mb/s, SCSI is 320Mb/s.  I'm inclined to think that
any observed difference in performance would be due to controller
scaling issues or something similar, rather than the actual
throughput on the devices.  This changes when you compare SATA and
SAS (Serial Attached SCSI), where there's an order of magnitude
bandwidth difference between the two.  I just noticed that Dell has
started selling SAS drives and there appear to be quite a few hitting
the market lately, I've got a pretty large server order in for boxes
with them, so we'll see how they do.

--Dave