[nycbug-talk] Apache rewrite rules

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Wed Apr 4 15:55:57 EDT 2007

> I am responsible for a web server that several departments publish
> content to. I want to delegate the creation of rewrite rules to a non
> privileged user. Can I accomplish this safely without giving them shell
> access or using .htaccess ? Are there any tools available ?

ahh it's been a while since i've had to deal with mod_rewrite rules - but
i think you can break out the rules from the main httpd.conf file.  at the
end of your main config file you can put a directive like this in:

Include conf/conf.d/*.conf

or what ever directory structure you would like to use.  in the conf.d
directory you could then setup what ever access control mechanisms you
want for your various users.  we use svn and rcs along side triggers and
Makefile's to publish changes to these directories.

I think this should work for you - unless I misunderstood your task.

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright