[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD syslog.conf quickie

Kevin Reiter KReiter at insidefsi.net
Thu Apr 5 09:36:51 EDT 2007

All,

A quick question on the syntax for defining a remote system logging to a remote syslog server.

I have a number of routers I want to send their syslogs to a FreeBSD system.  I've checked all the firewall rules and know that not to be a problem.  My question is, in the syslog.conf file itself, how to I define a host to log to a specific logfile?  I've RTFM, checked Google, and checked everything else I thought might have been mucking up the waters, but can't seem to get this straight.

I'm looking to get all syslogs for hostname "ssr" to go to /var/log/router.log

In my /etc/syslog.conf, I have the following entry:

+ssr.*                 /var/log/router.log

>From man 5 syslog.conf:

A hostname specification of the form `#+hostname' or `+hostname' means
the following blocks will be applied to messages received from the speci-
fied hostname.  Alternatively, the hostname specification `#-hostname' or
`-hostname' causes the following blocks to be applied to messages from
any host but the one specified.  If the hostname is given as `@', the
local hostname will be used.  As for program specifications, multiple
comma-separated values may be specified for hostname specifications.

I've tried using +ssr, +ssr.*, and a few other variations with no luck.

Am I just reading the examples wrong?  (In my defense, I've had a headache for the past 3 days, which hasn't helped..)

Thanks,
Kev

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information and is intended solely for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed.  If you are not a named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail or act upon the information contained herein.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.