[nycbug-talk] Carrier Neutral Colocation Facilities, and Fiber Contractors.

Jesse Callaway bonsaime at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:42:40 EDT 2007

What type of fiber connection are you looking for? Unless you're
looking for FIOS you have to dig a tunnel and lay it down if the fiber
is not already at the colo. Realistically you have to find a colo
which already has the connectivity or peering with your favorite
carrier. Why must it be fiber optic, what you want is a dedicated
connection, right?
Since you don't say you need any specific fiber provider, then you
probably don't need fiber. Don't take this as an insult, I just think
you need to reevaluate which medium is necessary to support your
needs. Likely you could connect using 802.11g if you get down to brass
tacks. Nobody would do this, but you get what i'm saying.
Look at a colo you like, and ask them what connections are available.
Finding a carrier you like and asking them to meet you at a colo is a
very big operation where you have to strike a special deal with the
colo and the carrier. Unless you are looking for something a tech can
just drop by and install like a cable-modem connection, dsl, or a T
circuit. In other words, if it's not on the telephone pole outside
with the line you want to tap into on it things get way too
complicated.

questions you need to ask

1. how much bandwidth do I need
2. what do I want to connect to