[nycbug-talk] PAM gurus?

forest mars compustretch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:39:47 EDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

I see "required, sufficient, requisite, binding, optional" in the manpage,
> but I'm lost on what "include" is or how it affects the other lines.  If I
> remove it, things work.  I'm worried about just what it did though...
>
> Anyone know anything about this?  And do I assume "system" means direct
> auth via the standard passwd db?

Since your message is timestamped 19 hrs ago I'm assuming you're up to speed
on this; include simply tells PAM to include all lines of given type from
the configuration file given as an argument to the specified control-flag.
It is what it says it is, an include, so that you can *WORM* your config
info.

As for your 'system' module, when called as your config path/file, that
would seem like an alternate syntax for 'system-auth' which is often/usually
paired with 'include' to call your system's default authentication rules.

hth,

Forest Mars
--
"In theory, theory and practice are exactly the same.
In practice, they're completely different."