[nycbug-talk] PAM gurus?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Aug 17 01:58:27 EDT 2007

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, forest  mars wrote:

> On 8/14/07, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
>
> I see "required, sufficient, requisite, binding, optional" in the manpage,
>> but I'm lost on what "include" is or how it affects the other lines.  If I
>> remove it, things work.  I'm worried about just what it did though...
>>
>> Anyone know anything about this?  And do I assume "system" means direct
>> auth via the standard passwd db?
>>

> Since your message is timestamped 19 hrs ago I'm assuming you're up to speed
> on this; include simply tells PAM to include all lines of given type from
> the configuration file given as an argument to the specified control-flag.
> It is what it says it is, an include, so that you can *WORM* your config
> info.

I must be blind, I kept looking in the "control-flag" section of the
manpage for "include", but it's up at the top:

      Entries in per-service policy files must be of one of the two forms
      below:

            function-class control-flag module-path [arguments ...]
            function-class include other-service-name

I don't want any *WORMS* though.

> As for your 'system' module, when called as your config path/file, that
> would seem like an alternate syntax for 'system-auth' which is often/usually
> paired with 'include' to call your system's default authentication rules.

In short it meant include the definition in /etc/pam.d/system

Still looking for a good way to figure out what program calls what pam
service.  Some are quite obvious, others are not, and some general pam
debugging info would be really helpful.  I know there are flags for each
service, but I'd like something for the whole enchilada; ie:  "program
foobuzz asks for auth from grobknob service".

Thanks,

Charles