[nycbug-talk] show of hands regarding spamd

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Sat Aug 18 09:51:35 EDT 2007

Hey All,

OK- so I *know* some folks had to have experienced today's repeated
friday afternoon spam deluge.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, then I WANT TO KNOW ONE
THING- are you using spamd?

I'm serious here.  The last 2 fridays, me, and several clients
offices I support- across 5 different mail service providers
encompasing two-dozen domain names with active email accounts, (and I
mean TOTALLY different MTA's); have experienced massive spam blasts-
with a serious spike in spam between about 3pm and 9pm- with between
hundreds (and some individuals THOUSANDS) of spam messages making it
right to the inbox.
The only thing they all share in common, no spamd use in any of these
accounts.

--
I know we all deal with spam, but I'm mostly thinking of moving
towards spamd frontends for these accounts, because the providers

I kindof feel like it'll be a great deal of time before spamd becomes
useless against spam, but I'm curious about the realities for people
using it.

What do folks here think?  (And I'm willing to even accept a 'just
quit whining ike' response).

Best,
.ike