[nycbug-talk] Fw: Extreme mobile BSD

H. G. tekronis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:42:43 EST 2007

On 12/21/07, Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:

>      n> Even started using sms :)
>
> oh, yeah great, SMS.
>
> AFAICT most of this new wave of tools is geek-proof, in that it's so
> locked down you won't get more out of the device than any teenage girl
> or retired model train hobbyist.  These two classes of people also
> talk about the virtues and failings of their electronic tools on their
> little mailing lists and AOL chat rooms, too.  What's so sad for me is
> seeing us talk about the tools in exactly the same way they do.

Truth.

We've been successfully mainstreamed.  We're part of the herd.  When I
> was in college, I taught my girlfriend to use ytalk, and she loved it.
> Now, I'm being asked by the guy that used to run a BBS with me, please
> use (unencrypted, logged) AIM because jabber and irc don't work
> conveniently from his Sidekick.  Our study/talent/specialty counts for
> nothing.  and it never will---go ahead, make something new, and you'll
> be frozen out.  Apple and T-Mobile already own everyone's fingers.  If
> you want to actually use the snazzy new app or protocol you designed,
> onto anyone's thumbs without some serious business negotiation.

Even more truth.

And we trade it away so motherfucking cheaply.  That's what disgusts
> me the most---these sniveling apologies.

I have no idea why this guy is being flamed.
Every single word he's said here so far has been nothing but true.
(Not looking to fan the flames, but just wanted to say that.)