[nycbug-talk] Extreme mobile BSD

Trish Lynch trish at bsdunix.net
Sat Dec 22 15:44:11 EST 2007

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Andy Kosela wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007 10:15 PM, nikolai <nikolai at fetissov.org> wrote:
>>
>> Absolutely agreed. You can't do any meaningful
>> work over EDGE anyway, and if you have wifi -
>> pull out the laptop. And, worse, iphone has no ipv6 :)
>
> Pardon me sir, but how much bandwidth do you need to maintain a
> terminal ssh session?
> Do you REALLY need more than vt100 9600 baud? Think about it...

Hell no, in fact, I get even considerably more than that over EDGE. I've
gotten over 384kbps, which is faster than some DSL lines, and much faster
than most land line modems, which I worked on for YEARS.

In fact, I am addicted to some extent to "City of Heroes", and can play it
on my laptop tethered to my blackberry over EDGE, in the bus on the way
into the city if I want to.

Are we THAT spoiled by cable modems and "broadband"?

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16