[nycbug-talk] Extreme mobile BSD

nikolai nikolai at fetissov.org
Sun Dec 23 01:17:27 EST 2007

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, Andy Kosela wrote:
>
>> On Dec 21, 2007 10:15 PM, nikolai <nikolai at fetissov.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Absolutely agreed. You can't do any meaningful
>>> work over EDGE anyway, and if you have wifi -
>>> pull out the laptop. And, worse, iphone has no ipv6 :)
>>
>> Pardon me sir, but how much bandwidth do you need to maintain a
>> terminal ssh session?
>> Do you REALLY need more than vt100 9600 baud? Think about it...
>>

> Hell no, in fact, I get even considerably more than that over EDGE. I've
> gotten over 384kbps, which is faster than some DSL lines, and much faster
> than most land line modems, which I worked on for YEARS.
>
> In fact, I am addicted to some extent to "City of Heroes", and can play it
> on my laptop tethered to my blackberry over EDGE, in the bus on the way
> into the city if I want to.
>
> Are we THAT spoiled by cable modems and "broadband"?

Ok, thanks guys, that actually made me read something about EDGE.
Yep, that should be plenty enough kbps. I still don't think I'd be
using that tiny cute term for anything but basic pings any time soon -
just not enough colsXrows. Also answering a call kills the terminal
session. Trying to figure the tethering - any pointers would be welcome.

--
 Nikolai