[nycbug-talk] upcoming meetings

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Fri Dec 28 21:48:45 EST 2007

First, I want to encourage anyone with a meeting idea to email admin@
with a proposal . . . there's lots of things people are doing out there
that warrant a meeting.

Second, I strongly recommend anyone planning to attend the Jan 9th
meeting with Angelos
(http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=Home;SUBM=10141) to read the
associated PDF referenced at the end of the post.

Once in a while, we're trying to do meetings like his SSARES meeting,
much like Matthew Burnsides' earlier in the year.  These are not typical
NYCBUG hands-on production-related meetings. . . rather they are more
research or academic in the inclination.

These meetings force us to not just dig into our experiences, but rather
to think about larger technology issues in a research-driven manner. . .
a bit more abstract, but nevertheless extremely useful.

I think in many ways, what USENIX has done with meeting or paper topics
such as these, provides a nice model.

The point of envisioning a secure email system isn't about Postfix v
Sendmail, etc., but rather to begin to piece together models that
address some of the inherent problems with email systems *in general*
right now.

On that note, again, check out the paper, as it will make our discussion
that much more useful at the meeting.

George