[nycbug-talk] Soekris/Wireless Recommendations

George R. george at ceetonetechnology.com
Thu Feb 22 11:16:20 EST 2007

Brian A. Seklecki wrote:

> It is odd that you should ask...I'm putting together a list of
> vendors/OEMs.
>
> Hopefully I'll be able to build/maintain a list of *BSD-friendly vendors /
> manufacturers a la linuxdevices.com at the bsd-appliance project:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/bsd-appliance/wiki/HardwareVendors
>
> ~BAS

Interesting Brian . . .

We've had a number of discussions on composing a public NYCBUG list of
hardware that is BSD-friendly and compatible.  . but as developers from
the projects themselves know, this is a nightmare particularly when it
comes to undocumented revision changes, firmware upgrades, etc.

However, it would probably be more useful to take your approach, which
is to look at the actual manufacturers, although no approach is perfect.

The best place, IMHO, is still each project's hardware compatibility
list, and things should be fine. . .

It would be nice if the project developers weren't forced to be tails on
the asses and the manufacturers played nice, of course.

Frankly, it might even be useful to list prepackaged OEM boxes by model
numbers and all to simplify for some.  For instance, we know that you
can't go wrong with this Dell Optiplex model number, as a shortcut.

Certainly dmesgd on our www site helps to some extent.

And the undocumented changes, however, remain the big unknown. . .

George