[nycbug-talk] HFS+ in FreeBSD

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Thu Jan 25 23:48:31 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007, David Lawson wrote:

> USB/FW drive with a SATA connector.  Shouldn't run more than $20-30 on
> NewEgg, might be able to find one local too if you're the impatient type (as
> I am, for example).  That'd probably be simplest, honestly, plus it has the
> added advantage of letting you do snapshot backups down the road if you want.

I almost bought one recently, but they are insanely pricey at NewEgg if
you want Firewire+SATA.

Now I do have a spare drive, a spare enclosure...  I wonder what would
happen if I dd'd from the Mac drive to another?  I would assume that would
copy the partition table and everything...  and then I could plug that
copy of the sata drive into the MBP...  Hmmm.

I see there (was?) HFS support for 5.x, but I think the patches are way
too old to work against 6.2.  Oddly enough there is geom_apple to read the
partition table, but I'm not finding any support for actually mounting.  I
only need read-only.

Thanks,

Charles