[nycbug-talk] Django Web Framework

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Tue Jul 3 12:34:27 EDT 2007

(ugg!  deleted message some how, sorry about messing up formatiing,
threading etc!  bad day already for peety)

>> the department in question does not see the need to start training on
>> yet another scripting language since they already standardized on
>> python for pretty much everything else.
>
>While this is a little off topic for this list.. I'll stab at it.
>
>First.. what happened to good 'ol Perl?  [grin]

oh we got some perl here ;)  actually, we have a pretty impressive
internal CPAN going on here and use it for a lot of things.  ends up
though maintaining OOP-Perl and TK-Perl is kinda a pain in the ass when
you got PyQT and Python sitting there taunting you :)

>If Python is the in house standard and web framework is the question..
>Django, Turbogears, and Pylons are *some* of the top choices.  There is
.>a *LOT* of discussion about web frameworks in the python community.  You
>will also find the inevitable comparison to Ruby on Rails (mixed
>opinions) and PHP (negative opinions).

yea, that's the tricky bit.  %99 of our code is for internal use only, and
a large chunk of that code is written to interface with either our SOAP
application servers (written in java) or to interface with binaries we
have little control over (Renderman, Maya, etc.).

now people are trying to push Ruby on Rails as the great saviour of web
frameworks here - but it's a hard sell when you have to re-write all our
python libraries in ruby when all you want to do is quickly throw up a web
GUI for an artist or producer (read non-technical user).

<snip>
>Also.. reading up on WSGI, python's "Web Server Gateway Interface" is
>suggested.

hmm...interesting.  just read the abstract quickly.

<snipping even more regarding other frameworks>
>My choice... Pylons.

I guess my main concern is mod_python and not the framework in itself.
although that's coming from someone who is building the infrastructure for
the programmers to use.  I'm looking for something that is stable, will be
easily adopted by programmers - and gives the performance of mod_python
w/o the inherent drawbacks (yes i fully understand the whole dev ->
staging -> live architecture so I shouldn't care about having to restart
apache to recompile code....but I do care and it still presents
maintenance/support issues).

one thing that scares me (if I was a coder) is the fact that Django is not
stable, and they admit API breakage will happen before the 1.0 release.
although i'm not a coder so I shouldn't care right ;)

thanks for the info mike, i'm going to check pylons out for sure!

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~
Peter Wright