[nycbug-talk] [announce] Tonight: NYC*BUG at the Soho Apple Store

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Wed Jun 6 22:38:42 EDT 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 6:47 PM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>>      a> However, I hope someone will tape it and I can do a
>>      a> post-mortem heckling!
>>
>> haha, ``just turn on SYN cookies!''
>>
>> i think the heckling is likely to be the best part of a talk like
>> this
>> no matter who's giving it.
> I have to say...DDOS mitigation is a *complicated thing*. There may
> be a
> few dozen people on the planet who understand what is a ddos and
> how to
> deal with it.

Yes, and we literally spent the meeting wondering, "how can we figure
this out without one of the few dozen best and the brightest in the
room."

Of course, you're one of them Alex.

> Dealing with anything sub 1G of traffic is trivial enough that it
> could be
> discussed on nycbug meetings. Oh wait :P

Yeah, the meeting was all about the speaker's home dsl with
IPCop. . . :-'

On the serious side, I thought the meeting was on the mark in terms
of dealing with the issue, but of course it's people like the above
replied-to that really matter.

Not because they're so smart, but rather because we sit on their
bandwidth.

The only reason "end-user sysadmins" talk have meetings on topics
like this is due to the shortcomings of those who do deal with the
bandwidth for us.

Therefore, Alex and all, please deal with this upstream from us, and
we promise never to have another meeting on the topic. :)

George