[nycbug-talk] IMAP Caching

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at f2o.org
Thu Jun 7 12:52:24 EDT 2007

Greetings-

At last nights meeting, someone in the audience asked if anyone
had any tips for increasing the performace of an IMAP server.

I did a little searching and found a caching proxies for IMAP

Take a look at http://www.imapproxy.org/

>From the FAQ:
imapproxy was written to compensate for webmail clients that are
unable to maintain persistent connections to an IMAP server. Most
webmail clients need to log in to an IMAP server for nearly every
single transaction. This behaviour can cause tragic performance
problems on the IMAP server. imapproxy tries to deal with this
problem by leaving server connections open for a short time after
a webmail client logs out. When the webmail client connects
again, imapproxy will determine if there's a cached connection
available and reuse it if possible.

Hope this helps.

Also, if the person who asked the question can post a little more
about the problems he is experiancing, as well as details of his
setup, I am sure numerious people on this list will be able to
offer advice.

-- Steven Kreuzer
http://www.exit2shell.com/~skreuzer