[nycbug-talk] [announce] Tonight: NYC*BUG at the Soho Apple Store

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:12:21 EDT 2007

On 6/15/07, Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:

> Long-term I think we need some way to recognize infected windows
> machines and turn off their accounts, and we need to give ISP's that
> host infected windows machines some incentive for doing this.  At this
> point, not only is that ability far away tools-wise, but I don't think
> ISP's would be willing to do it because it would upset customers and
> load their support lines, so they don't give a shit and say ``never
> mind, the web hosters are requesting to receive massive extortionist
> attacks from our virus-cesspool customer APRU-farm.''  DDoS is a
> problem that Level3 customers cause for Cogent customers, so the
> division between Interweb ISP's and hosting ISP's means the incentive
> is missing---if people are just going to be small businessmen rather
> than stewards, this DDoS problem will never be solved.

Purely from a lay point of view, this is extremely sensible. It would
also be easy to do if the infected desktops only existed in North
America. Sell it as the equivalent of handing out fix-it tickets to
motorists with dangerous cars, and people would suck it up and pretend
to be glad that you caught their computers behaving badly.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/