[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD software RAID?

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at f2o.org
Wed Mar 7 22:46:40 EST 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Miles Nordin wrote:

>     jv> Is there a preferred software raid on FreeBSD ?
>
> I think the RAID3 software RAID is theoretically more sound than the
> RAID5.  I don't have direct experience, but please don't be fooled
> into the crappier implementation by the larger number.

Cut n Paste from wikipedia because it sums it up better then I can:

RAID 3 uses byte-level striping with a dedicated parity disk. RAID 3
is very rare in practice. One of the side-effects of RAID 3 is that
it generally cannot service multiple requests simultaneously.
This comes about because any single block of data will, by
definition, be spread across all members of the set and will reside
in the same location. So, any I/O operation requires activity on
every disk.

I have never used it at all, but I would stay the hell away from RAID
3, both hardware and software implementations

SK