[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD software RAID?

Kit Halsted kit at kithalsted.com
Wed Mar 7 23:59:02 EST 2007

At 11:44 PM -0500 3/7/07, Steven Kreuzer wrote:
<...>
>RAID 5 is another beast, and your better off going with a hardware
>based solution if it fits in your budget.
>Its going to be much faster, and more reliable.

Keep in mind that RAID 5 also costs tens of thousands of dollars to
recover if something does go wrong. I've seen a surprisingly high
number of failures of RAID 5 arrays, considering how few of my
clients could afford them in the first place. I'm starting to think
it's safer & cheaper (at least in the long run) to stripe a couple of
RAID 1 arrays than to do a RAID 5. I'm definitely convinced that RAID
1 is the way to go if your needs can be met by the capacity of a
single disk.

>My rule of thumb is if your budget allows, always go with the
>hardware based solution ;)

Absolutely agreed. (Just make sure it's good hardware!)

Cheers,
-Kit
--
Kit Halsted