[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD software RAID?

Okan Demirmen okan at demirmen.com
Thu Mar 8 17:25:45 EST 2007

[snip everything i prefer not to comment on]

> > In any case I think we agree on this so far as: my criticisms apply to
> > RAID-on-a-card only.  The SAN vendors do all have NVRAM that fixes the
> > RAID5 write hole, but the cards often don't.  Even cards that say ``we
> > have NVRAM!'' often don't have what the SAN vendors call NVRAM, and
> > that bugs me a lot because they are basing their business on trying to
> > confuse people rather than on building trust, which I think is quite
> > wrong in this space.

there are 3 types of raid: software, hardware and hardware+software.
don't confuse and spread fud about one or the other until you specify
which one you wish to praise or defame.

i have my opinions and experience, but i'll defer.

> hmm...i guess i'm just not sure what you mean by "RAID-on-a-card".

yes, he has not been clear; there are major differences.