[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD software RAID?

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Thu Mar 8 17:35:56 EST 2007

Chiming in, as  I started this all--

I'm just doing a mirror for redundancy, so a software implementation
should be fine.  Likely a mirror + a DB log for double redundancy --
but thats another story.  I've incidentally found an increasing
number of motherboards that directly support raid through their SATA
controllers, so that might be an option.

I've used hardware raids in the past - not with FreeBSD, but with
Macs.  9/10 times they ended up being the root of all problems.
Drivers would phase in and out of compatibility with os updates.
Raid cards would continually fail.

I'm not saying that its common, I'm just saying that its my luck --
something I've experienced , and something I'd like to avoid.

A properly done hardware raid would undoubtedly be better than a
software one -- I've just yet to experience a card mfg with
consistent hardware and software support.  I'm sure many people here
have found satisfactory solutions -- I just haven't.  I've also never
had an IBM drive fail , but have had 10 Western Digitals die -- and
know many people who are the exact opposite.

// Jonathan Vanasco