[nycbug-talk] ORDB.org replacement

Jonathan Vanasco nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Mon Mar 12 17:51:44 EDT 2007

On Mar 12, 2007, at 2:05 PM, Okan Demirmen wrote:

> why do you guys even use blacklists?  have you any statistics on the
> effectiveness of blacklists after greylisting?  i'm assuming close to
> 0%, for with just greylisting the amount of spam is already close to
> nil (and it costs nothing).
>
> i am interested in data; i'm not just advocating.

I will not use blacklists on any machines -- there are too many false
positives.

 From my experiences, the people who both run the blacklists, and
those who report them are all far too fanatical to be trusted.

I've had servers reject email from large ISPs and companies, because
they were somehow in a list.
I've often found my own servers -- dedicated and shared -- somehow in
a list because another machine at the same facility had php
compromised to send spam.
I had to leave a host once, because an RBL didn't care that my
machine was unaffected - too many machines at the facility i used had
been compromised, so they blacklisted several gigantic ranges.

If you're fine with that -- great.  Using some simple spam filtering,
along with SPF to minimize job jobs, I dont see too much spam in my
inbox.  More importantly, I'm able to receive all the mail i need.

// Jonathan Vanasco