[nycbug-talk] IPv6 NY-US Roll Call

Jeff Quast af.dingo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:57:28 EDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2007, at 6:44 PM, Peter Wright wrote:
> >> Is there any other advantage to IPv6 other than virtually unlimited
> >> addresses?  Not that I am trivializing that fact.
> >
> > my two favorites:
> > ipsec intergration into the base stack
>
> HECK YEAH.  While listing to MSF speak about IPSEC application
> weaknesses at AsiaBSDCon, (picking on raccoon, ike, userland, apis
> etc...)- a simple thing *snapped* in my brain:
>
> IPSEC isn't just for encrypted tunnels, tunnelling was merely the
> first good application of IPSEC.

ipsec in openbsd is so incredibly easy it blows my mind. I knew
absolutely nothing about ipsec except what was forced on me through
news sites, I never cared to look into it. I decided I needed it, read
the manual pages for about 15 minutes, read a small ~3 page
introductory paper for a few minutes, and followed by the EXAMPLE
section and got started. I was finished in about 20 minutes. racoon on
the other hand, I looked, I cringed, I ran, i screamed like a girl,
and I never looked back...

Regardless -- ipv6 wasn't needed at all. It worked on ipv4 only -- so
how is ipv6 going to help this get any easier than a 1-line
configuration file? Why should I bother, I just got what i needed...

> idea is still correct - there isn't any need for IPv6, so there's no push
> either by clients or carriers to implement it.

Alex is a smart man.

So I just joined a very hip, very modern, very new evdo cellular
network that was deployed nation-wide in less than a year. pppd warns
that the remote site refuses ipv6 handshaking. They had the chance to
design this network from scratch, and they left ipv6 out. That pisses
me off.

Unfortunatly, there is absolutely no form of getting an ipv6 pipe
between my home and the world (without having it piggy-back ipv4 in
some form). Regardless, I am confident the pa-risc, macppc, arm, i386,
and sparc64 in my home will take little to no work to join this
network seamlessly, thanks to BSD's efforts.

If the other major US cellular evdo network offered ipv6 addressing,
I'd switch, break my contract, and make it very clear why I switched
and while I'll never come back.

We have to do this whenever we can, it shows these companies there is
-MONEY- involved in supporting an ipv6 network, from major ISP's to
home broadband.