[nycbug-talk] IPv6 NY-US Roll Call

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri Mar 23 11:10:03 EDT 2007

>>> Wikipedia explains it better than I can.  One upside/downside I will
>>> mention here is that it eliminates the need for NAT, the downside of
>>> this is people can't rely on NAT to work as a firewall and need to
>>> configure a proper one.
>>>

>> heck, i'd consider that an upside as well - a NAT should never take
>> the
>> place of a firewall IMHO.
>
> Agreed- but this means that we have to get networks, vendors, and
> applications ready to deal with these changes...
>
> It's not hard if we fundamentally start thinking of each node in our
> private IPv4 networks, as being publicly addressable...  (I said it's
> not hard, but it's a tedious paradigm shift...)

yea that' for sure.  i saw alan kay give a lecture once, and he went on
and on about how bad our current state of network security is, not just
from a security standpoint - but from a software design standpoint as
well.  i guess it's hoped that - at least from a mile high view - that
things like ipv6 will help address both the security and design issues we
currently find ourselves in.

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~