[nycbug-talk] (I hate IPv6!) - Thread Fork

Massimiliano Stucchi stucchi at willystudios.com
Fri Mar 30 09:46:00 EDT 2007

On 230307, 16:44, Chris Buechler wrote:
> Isaac Levy wrote:
> >> I think all you said above pretty much proves my point -
> >> a) ipv6 not ready for prime time
> >> b) nobody gives a damn about v6
> >>

> > Alex, you've inspired me to fork this whole topic to a different
> > thread.  This is not a joke.
> >
> > Seriously speaking here, what do you see as the largest problems to
> > the US getting wired and up to speed with IPv6?  Why do you think it
> > won't happen anytime soon?
> >

> Speaking from the perspective of the organizations whose networks I run,
> it won't happen in the foreseeable future because there's no business
> reason to do so. The benefits of IPv6 aren't enough on their own to
> justify the migration, and public IP's are readily available for little
> or no cost. The driver of migration I foresee is increasing cost of
> public IP's. If they do indeed eventually become as scarce as people
> think they will then the cost will go up substantially enough to drive
> the change. None of the several T1 providers I use charge anything for
> public IP's, and will give you up to a /24 at no cost if you can justify
> having it. The local LEC will give you 5 public IP's for $5/month on a
> business DSL account, and the local cable company charges $5/month per
> IP for additional IP's. At those costs, nobody cares about extra IP
> space because it would take 100+ years of IP charges to equal the cost
> of migrating to IPv6.

Good point, Chris.

I help run a WISP down here in Italy, and for every customer we assign a
/30 for a point-to-point connection and then route a /29 over it.

Yes, we waste 4 IP's for every customer.

Yes, the IPs are for free.

Yes, we have plenty of them available.

Ciao
--

Massimiliano Stucchi, CTO & Director of Operations
WillyStudios.com - IT Consulting, Web and VoIP Services