[nycbug-talk] T1 cards and PFSense

George Rosamond george at ceetonetechnology.com
Tue May 1 19:21:01 EDT 2007

Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Tue 2007.05.01 at 17:15 -0400, George Rosamond wrote:
>> Chris Buechler wrote:
>>> Hey George, all,

>>> Yep, no T1 support at all. None of the developers have the hardware
>>> nor test equipment to make it happen.
>>>
>>> But, somebody popped up yesterday with a working setup, and sounds
>>> like he may implement it in the GUI.
>>> http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,4628.msg28196.html (cmb is
>>> me)
>>>
>> Nice. . .
>>
>>> Even with someone saying they'll implement it, from past experience I
>>>  give it maybe a 25% chance of happening.
>>>
>>> If that guy doesn't do it, for any of the existing developers to take
>>>  on that project it'll likely take a bounty from a corporate sponsor
>>> to supply the hardware and pay for the development to be done.
>>>
>>> Cheers, Chris
>> Ahh. . .
>>
>> Well, I'd strongly recommend you contacting Sangoma directly, as I know
>> they are quite friendly to open source projects, including the BSDs.
>>
>> For T1 access, there are vendors some of us could speak to about access
>> at various colos. . . then we'd need remote console access, I'd guess.
>
> i'm sorry, but bugging hardware vendors for hardware for GUI
> applications is a waste, imho.  the device drivers already exist.

Uhh. . .the gui app is for managing PF. . . we're not talking about an
X11 editor.

And it's about the OS, which has the support, so why wouldn't it be no
big deal to add gui support for it?

And I know the device drivers exist. . . I was around the whole
discussions on various levels about this.

I'm quite sure Sangoma donated or someone bought hardware to at least
some of the projects, but this is several years ago now.

I am also getting a better idea that PFSense's audience and usage is
beyond your normal "I want to replace my Linksys" crowd, and if this
application has a better audience, I think it's worth contributing for
its growth. . .