[nycbug-talk] lost root!

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Mon May 14 13:52:54 EDT 2007

It's easy to accidentally nuke the root account using (IMHO) the rather
unintuitive pw(8).  ~BAS

On Mon, 14 May 2007, forest  mars wrote:

> On 5/14/07, Tom Rue <tomrue at gmail.com <//tomrue at gmail.com/>> wrote:
>
> In fact, it doesn't appear to be booting into Single User mode, which may be
>> the problem. Is there a way to confirm this, or around it?
>

> Did it ask ask you for the shell path? If so and the path is correct you're
> going to be in single user, s
> o if subsequent commands don't work as intended, the error would lie
> someplace else.
>
> Also, are all your filesytems mounted or not? Moreover can you start a
> virtual terminal?
> I'd bet the answers are no and no, which would mean you are in single user.
>

>> Any other suggestions on how I can get back in as root?
>

> If you really are not dropping into single user, it might be worth checking
> your permissions on /etc/ttys and /etc/rc.conf just to see if you might have
> another way in.
>
> hth,
>
> Forest
> NYNY

l8*
 	-lava (Brian A. Seklecki - Pittsburgh, PA, USA)
 	       http://www.spiritual-machines.org/

     "Guilty? Yeah. But he knows it. I mean, you're guilty.
     You just don't know it. So who's really in jail?"
     ~James Maynard Keenan