[nycbug-talk] soekris style boxes for memcached ?

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Fri May 18 17:27:24 EDT 2007

> I need to scale up on my memcached size soon.
>
> Has anyone here seen or heard of soekris style boxes for memcached?
>
> Looking at the options , everything I've seen has been
> 	a_ people throw an extra 4gb of ram onto an existing machine, run
> memcached on that
> 	b_ people buy a new low-end box and max it out with ram as a
> dedicated box
>
> well, my boxes are maxed with ram, and while a low-end box makes
> sense on many levels -- this seems like something so trivial that a
> soekris style box could do cheaper, in less space, and with less
> energy / heat
>
> just wondering if anyone has heard of anythig that could work.

I may not understand exactly how memcached works but I assume the
performance, and benfit, or memcached is tied to the system under which it
runs on.  I.e., you most likely want a system that not only has the
ability to house alot of RAM, but also has a fast bus for access to the
RAM.  If running it on a remote system in production, I would assume you
would want a GigE NIC capable of TCP offloading as well.

this looks fun - i think it's got 2 em(4) NICs - but only supports up to
4Gb of DDR2/667Mhz RAM.

http://www.abacus-ipc.com/mini_itx.htm

-p

--