[nycbug-talk] IPv6 Followup

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Sun Nov 11 19:14:13 EST 2007

Hi Alex, All,

On Nov 9, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Okan Demirmen wrote:

>>> See and listen to this and make your own conclusions
>>> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/bush.html
>>> http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0710/real/nanog41-transition.ram

>>> ipv6 will happen. it has to. you should get yourself *ready* to
>>> run it -
>>> there's no harm in it. generally, it no longer requires equipment
>>> investment, just configuration. operationally, however, nobody
>>> cares.
>>                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> 							  what?
>>
>> that is a very broad, over-reaching statement, and i for one will
>> disagree.  operationally, people care.  now *who* those people are is
>> another question; they may not be all the people that need to care,
>> but
>> there are people who care operationally.  with statements like the
>> above, the "other people" will never think they need to care - so it
>> goes as it is going now.
> ok,
>
> simple, show me who cares. operationally. someone who both *cares* and
> *matters*. no, home ipv6 tunnels through sixxs and occaid don't count.
>
> -alex

Look Alex- could you please stop derailing every thread that comes up
on IPv6?

"NYC*BUG, A Forum For Discussion and a Bridge for Learning"

This is the second time I'm asking:

Please put any 'No IPv6' sentiment or information in new threads.
(Please realize, I want you to post, but you quickly derail every
positive thread about IPv6 on this list- and that's not acceptable.)

Your insistance that the network operators are the only ones using the
internet for anything 'meaningful' has become quite tiresome, as it
leaves out the other 1.4 Billion current internet users worldwide.

In no uncertan terms- cut it out.

--
Regarding your IPv6 Statements:

- If you had come to one of the last 2 NYC*BUG meetings on the
subject, you'd have had ample opportunity to see people show up who
care about IPv6.

- Demeaning users of Sixxs or HE is truly uncalled for, and kindof
silly.
I don't even know where to get a "*real*" IPv6 connection in NYC- high
or low?
(Especially, after I called to order an IPv6 DSL line from *your ISP*,
you could not provide me with even that!)

Sixxs and HE are the only mass-consumption options available, and
until people in your position (and larger) start selling usable IPv6
pipes, there will be even more tunnel use...

--
Regarding my interpretation of your attitude:

- Your negativity is impacting to us, people who for one reason or
another, *want* to hack this stuff.  Exploration is valuable here as
much as any quantifiable need, true progress can come from the seed of
personal interest.

NYC*BUG is not a business, an ISP, etc...  This is not your board room
to shout directives in.

- You are not the arbiter of meaningful use of the Internet.
NANOG is a fantastic organization, and you do important work we all
respect as a network operator.  However, your relentless degradation
of other internet users intentions is fairly distasteful- weather they
are technical users of the internet like most on this list, or your
average non-technical person.

--
I don't think your a bad guy Alex, and I really appreciate all the
fantastic contributions you've made to this list- but for the last

Best,
.ike