[nycbug-talk] Safety Expansion for FreeBSD rm(1)

Marc Spitzer mspitzer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:06:41 EDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer at exit2shell.com> wrote:
> Greetings-
>
> I am reading through the freebsd-current mailing list and I stumbled upon a
> proposed patch that I thought was rather interesting
>
> Basically, is a patch to rm that first reads ~/.rm before actually removing
> anything to make sure that what you are trying to delete isn't "protected"
>
> Example, if I did rm -rf ~ /bin (when I really wanted ~/bin) it would check
> to make sure that /bin and ~ are allowed to be removed.
>
> I am kinda on the fence about this, but think it could be a useful way to
> protect yourself from yourself
>
> Project Page: http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/safety-rm/
> eMail thread on freebsd-current: http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-current&m=119072708632143&w=2
>
> What do you think?

Well the system is not your friend, it is an idiot that is not fond of
you or indifferent at best, so perhaps you might want to reconsider
having it provide over site for your actions.

The trick about not screwing up is to pay attention to what you are
doing and we all screw that up sometimes.  But this would encourage
you to not pay attention which I think would lead to more bad things
happening then it would prevent.  Think of dos, it always asks do you
want to delete this file?  Now do you think about it or just hit Y?

marc
--
Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better.
Albert Camus