[nycbug-talk] Africa Network Traffic

Anthony Elizondo anthony.elizondo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:05:45 EDT 2007

On 10/5/07, Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> So my good friend has a problem I'm interested in, which I believe
> many of us could be interested in(?)
>
> Does anyone know any good way to know how much of the internet's
> CONTENT originates in Affica, West Africa, or even Ghana?
>
> To me, this means available http/etc servers- not just IP blocks or
> network connections on the big fiber maps...
>
> Where to start?  I'm drawing a blank on this...

Like you, I took the question to mean number of servers. You could
look at other metrics: numbers of pages, number of sites.

You might start by looking Netcraft surveys at
http://survey.netcraft.com/Reports/index.html It appears they cover a
few different country TLDs each month.

If going by domains, you could have Google count for you:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A.gh

If you wanted to draw a conclusion based on number of users, you could
look at Nielsen numbers: http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats1.htm

> Rocket-
> .ike

Anthony