[nycbug-talk] IPv6 for ISP Sales People?

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu Oct 11 13:53:44 EDT 2007

Hey All,

A surprising moment of joy in a rough workday:

--
I just got off the phone with my ISP sales rep, who provides
connectivity at one hard-use office I work in- a very cool vendor.

Long story short, after discussing some changes in service offerings
that affect my client, (they're moving their office), he asked if
there was anything else he could do for me, so...  I cut right into
asking for an IPv6 link.

Not surprisingly, the sales guy didn't know anything about IPv6
addressing, and I explained the rammifications of these points:

1) IPv4 gives us 4billion+ addresses, vs. IPv6 and 32Undecillion+
addresses

2) Smaller and more efficient Routing Tables (Thanks Gene Cronk!)

3) The rest of the developed (and much of the underdeveloped) world
is deploying it for production use, only Univ./Govt. are horsing
around with it in the US...

--
The points got him very excited, he immediately saw the obvious sales
opportunities of being the first NYC ISP to offer real (or very fast

My ISP sales guy, however knowledgeable, is not very technical- but
he's a manager (read: decision maker)- and to my delight, he was
excited to get this request from me...

What other info can I give to this Non-Technical ISP rep, (or any ISP
sales rep), to help build a business case in his organization, so we
can buy real IPv6 lines in NYC sooner than later?!

What about this list?:

http://www.ipv6.org/ (good 3-line explanation)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6 (base spec nitty-gritty)
http://www.ipv6forum.com/ (they have a damn cute javascript
countdown... :)

--
Thanks in advance for any urls, info, etc...!

Rocket,
.ike