[nycbug-talk] For and Against IPv6

Alex Pilosov alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Oct 11 18:30:46 EDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Does Pilosoft then not charge for additional IP's?  If so, can't get at
> least a /8 from you if I buy a Pilosoft DSL line, how about just a /24
> for starters?
there's simply no need to have that many IPs, really

> But aren't there costs managing the individual IPv4 addresses?  I ran a
> web-hosting ISP, you run a full-blown ISP- doesn't someone have to get
> paid to manage netblock usage, as a part of managing the service?
> Doesn't that task become more time consuming (and difficult) as
> netblocks become more completely utilized?
eh kind of. everyone has their own ghetto ip allocation softwares. which
doesn't become more expensive as it gets more utilized. then you just go
to arin for more ips.

> Awesome- can you point me at any historical references?  This is the fun
> stuff I love...
>
> Are you referring to NCP transitioning?
yes

> >> What about Russia, Alex?  I guess they have plenty of IP's.
> > Until RIRs say "we cannot give you any more IPs", there's no problem
> > at all. Everyone can get IPs today. Thus, nobody feels the pain.
>
> Again, where is my free /24 for my home?  I'll use every one, right now.
why, there's no purpose.

> >> Have you or your customers done any business with Taiwan or China
> >> recently?  My people have...
> > What's that have to do with anything? are you saying that people in
> > taiwan have v6-only connectivity and unable to communicate to v4
> > sites?  [for the record, i do believe there are some providers who
> > give by default both v4 and v6 ips. i don't know any provider in any
> > country who'd give v6 only ip and 6to4 for the v4 access].
>
> Gotcha- who are the providers who do both v4 and v6?
i think broadband in china/japan are like that. none here.

<snip>

> (I have many small networked systems in my home office I'm dying to
> have online TODAY.)
I see. you are one of few people.

> Wouldn't you'd sell more bandwidth, if more people used more internet
> services and devices?
not really, dsl is flat-rate ;)

> > show the business need. you say you want 65k IPs -
> > what for?
>
> Home Style Answer:
> Easy, personally, counting on my hands (the geek view):
>
> I just counted 19 computers of various shapes and sizes,
> architectures- in my home office, which I use and would quickly
> connect to the internet.  Of those 18 computers, 6 of them have 2 or
> more ethernet interfaces, and I count 9 wireless interfaces.  I'm
> doing dev. work using jails, and working on jailed system
> architecture.  My apartment alone currently has 3 active /24 subnets,
wow, you are a geek. i'm sorry. i might be talked into throwing you a /24
just because of that...

<snip>

> So, with that stated, their customers in Asia, (mostly other businesses,
> not direct consumers), are increasingly mentioning services on corporate
> IPv6 networks, and they maintain a few IPv4 points of entry into their
> network which Americans/Westerners touch.  The servers they maintain on
> the IPv4 internet are saturated.  With that, it would actually be FAR
> more convenient if we all could simply connect to their servers via
> IPv6, and provide them usable IPv6 service as well.
interesting point. i've never heard this. get their v6 ips, i want to
see how the connectivity there looks like.

> There's loads of confusion about IT from my employers, because there's
> enough difficulty with spoken language barriers...
>
> Another business client is starting to sell products across the internet
> in Japan, and gee-whiz, do I have to go to Japan and get a cabinet to
> make this happen?  (oh twist my arm, right...)
that kind of doesn't make sense. they can reach your v4 site just fine.

> So is that enough of a business case for me ask my ISP's for a
> production-grade IPv6 internet connection?
just barely.