[nycbug-talk] Good unmanaged switch brands

Andy Michaels lego at therac25.net
Thu Oct 11 21:13:43 EDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 8:38 PM, Jerry B. Altzman wrote:

> on 2007-10-11 17:54 Isaac Levy said the following:
>>> I'm looking at buying 4 or 5 8-16 port unmanaged switches for
>>> setting up
>>> shared satellite internet access in Iraq and I was wondering if
>>> people
>>> had any preferred brands.
>> I've deployed TONS of the little Netgear swtitches, in various sizes
>> and in very different networks, and they've all been insanely great-
>> (e.g. I don't think about them, they just work...)

My vote'd be with NG as well.

> Same same here; the Netgear *unmanaged* stuff takes a lickin' and keeps
> on tickin'. Deployed (many)^2 of them; never looked back. (I've got two
> right here next to me, plus a handful of the smaller versions.) They
> autonegotiate better than vendor C as well, and on their bigger
> switches, all their ports are autosensing (so you never need worry
> about
> a crossover; or if half your office is wired in 568A and half in 568B
> like mine is, you won't see an issue :-)
>
> Their managed stuff is an utter train wreck, however. Switches,
> routers,
> you name it: it's all awful. I have a NG firewall of ancient vintage;
> it's lasted a long time (since 2000 with nary a burp) but the
> management
> interface makes me yearn for an arsenic daiquiri.

I've had no real issues with their L2 managed family (GSM72XX).
The management interface isn't the worst, but it's not the best.  The
web-based one is reasonable.  If you know IOS, then their CLI should be
pretty similar.  Though, it could be possible I just don't know IOS
very well :)