[nycbug-talk] online storage rsync.net, carbonite, dreamhost...or s3?

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Oct 15 19:05:24 EDT 2007

> I'd like to back up various FreeBSD systems I have with rsync...
>
> Amazon's S3 seems like a good choice, except that there are no real
> tools to have it be used with rsync. (There are a lot of "rsync-like"
> tools, and there are some backup utilties that only run on Windows and
> possibly MacOS X/Linux.)
>
> So my remaining options are Carbonite, rsync.net, and Dreamhost. They
> all provide Unix shell accounts with gobs of space, more or less.
>
> Has anyone any recommendations?

not to nit-pick - but rsync is not really a backup tool.  it is a
mirroring tool, the difference may seem small but think of it this way.
backups allow you to restore your data to a specific point in time, i do
not think rsync will help you when you make a major snafu and do not
realize it until *after* your next rsync run.  that's just one thing to
keep in mind (most backup suites allow you to catalog your data for
indexing among other important features).

anywho - so it sounds like you want to mirror your data on a public server
somewhere ;)
i'm not familiar with anything other than the Gmail hacks and some other
clunky web interfaces.  maybe get a cheap virtual server or shell account
from an ISP and mirror your data there?

-pete

--
~~oO00Oo~~