[nycbug-talk] online storage rsync.net, carbonite, dreamhost...or s3?

jonathan at kc8onw.net jonathan at kc8onw.net
Mon Oct 15 20:53:16 EDT 2007

On Mon, October 15, 2007 3:47 pm, C Thala wrote:
> I'd like to back up various FreeBSD systems I have with rsync...
>

> Amazon's S3 seems like a good choice, except that there are no real
> tools to have it be used with rsync. (There are a lot of "rsync-like"
> tools, and there are some backup utilties that only run on Windows and
> possibly MacOS X/Linux.)
>
> So my remaining options are Carbonite, rsync.net, and Dreamhost. They
> all provide Unix shell accounts with gobs of space, more or less.
>
> Has anyone any recommendations?

I had a big long message typed out and then lost it :P  The gist of it
was: S3 might work for you but it would not be a drop in solution,
rsync.net looks good based on their site and should be easy to set up
(I've looked it over pretty thoroughly before) but I don't know how well
their rates compare etc.

Jonathan