[nycbug-talk] telnet/lynx/elinks

Mikel King mikel.king at techally.com
Tue Oct 16 14:05:58 EDT 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 1:49 PM, Tim Smith wrote:

> It's plain out-of-the box FreeBSD telnet, & Lynx works fine, just
> not with
> telnet.
>
> Tim
>
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007, Michael Hernandez wrote:
>

>> On Oct 16, 2007, at 1:27 PM, Tim Smith wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone know why when I telnet into a shell, (sdf, suffolknet),
>>> the web
>>> browsers are garbled, all *'s & displaced text?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> I'd say it depends on the charset of the terminal you're using and
>> the charset of the remote shell?
>>
>> Are you using putty? telnet from xterm? gnome-terminal, etc etc?
>>
>> For example I ssh to sdf via my OS X Terminal.app (term type rxvt and
>> charset ascii) and use lynx and it works just fine.
>>
>> --Mike H

Tim,

	Have you tried the same from within an ssh terminal in lieu of telnet?

Cheers,
Mikel King
CITO, Tech Alliance, INC
Senior Editor, Daemon News
39 West Fourteenth Street
Second Floor
New York, NY 10011
http://www.techally.com
http://www.daemonnews.org
t: 212.727.2100x132
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use
each other, but optimists help each other.
Collaboration feeds your spirit, while
competition only stokes your ego. You'll
find the best way to get along.