[nycbug-talk] IPv6 for ISP Sales People?

michael lists at genoverly.net
Wed Oct 17 13:29:27 EDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:33:37 -0400
Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:

> I haven't heard back, but I believe his line is a Cable connection.
>
> In case those reading are in disbelief or denial, I'll repeat,
> that's $19.95/mo for one IPv4 address to a residential location in
> the downtown loop, (the heart), of Chicago.
>
> --
> As an end user and consumer of data services, I'm simply exasperated
> and want IPv6 to MOVE FOREWORD on American networks.
>
> Rocket-
> .ike

Why would you want to pay to have a static IP at home?

Home is mostly outbound stuff like reading web pages and checking
email... without the bandwidth, electricity, cooling, etc benefits of a
professional colo. Besides, many residential networks restrict what you
can do.

If you are running important services that require an IP, put the $20 a
month toward renting in a colo.  period.

I know RR in NYC just keeps re-issuing the same IP if you stay
connected.  If you *really* want to resolve to your home IP (e.g. to
access it from the road without typing the IP), put an entry into DNS
where you registered your domain. Assuming you can edit your own DNS
(like godaddy, pair, and many others) once in a while; then
myhome.domain.tld can be resolvable.  Or, gasp.. put it in your host
file.  If the IP changes a lot then run a script that asks whatsmyip.org
and output that to your host file periodically, when you are at home.
Or upload it to a website or something.

C'mon Ike.  We all know you want to use IPv6, but I am of the
opinion that this was a lame argument. [grin]

If a person insists on running an extensive network and provide
services out of their home over a residential connection, then
disregard any comment I have made.  They probably won't listen anyway.

--

michael