[nycbug-talk] IPv6 for ISP Sales People?

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Wed Oct 17 14:04:19 EDT 2007

Hi MW, (long time no see dude!),

To summarize my reply:

Your point is a good one, and seems to be:
Running production grade services from home is stupid.s

My point is:
I'm not wanting to run production grade services here, but I have a
need for end-to-end connectivity- and this is the model which
fundamentally drove the use of the internet in the first place.

On Oct 17, 2007, at 1:29 PM, michael wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:33:37 -0400
> Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org> wrote:
>
>> I haven't heard back, but I believe his line is a Cable connection.
>>
>> In case those reading are in disbelief or denial, I'll repeat,
>> that's $19.95/mo for one IPv4 address to a residential location in
>> the downtown loop, (the heart), of Chicago.
>>
>> --
>> As an end user and consumer of data services, I'm simply exasperated
>> and want IPv6 to MOVE FOREWORD on American networks.
>>
>> Rocket-
>> .ike
>
> Why would you want to pay to have a static IP at home?

That's the point- I don't want to pay, neither does my colleague.

> Home is mostly outbound stuff like reading web pages and checking
> email... without the bandwidth, electricity, cooling, etc benefits
> of a
> professional colo.

Oh yeah, I completely understand where your going with this- but
'home' is not only outbound stuff for me, and not *every* application
or internet need requires the benefits of a professional colo.

> Besides, many residential networks restrict what you
> can do.

For example, my home-office file server is not appropriate (or cost
effective, or sane) to host in a datacenter.

> If you are running important services that require an IP, put the
> $20 a
> month toward renting in a colo.  period.

$20 will enable me to get a hodgepodge of 7 or so external harddrives
(totaling around 3tb) online?  What about me loosing gigabit speed
access on my LAN?  If you tell me a solid vendor/service who'll do
that, my head will explode... (or tell me in person so you can watch
my head explode!)

Actually, here's a short list of apps I *use right now*, where I want
point-to-point connectivity:

1) File Server Access
2) Text/Video/Audio realtime chat
3) Distributed computing (I'm chewing through loads of text processing)
4) Remote browser apps for collaborators (I refuse to use Google
spreadsheet, ya' know?!)

> I know RR in NYC just keeps re-issuing the same IP if you stay
> connected.  If you *really* want to resolve to your home IP (e.g. to
> access it from the road without typing the IP), put an entry into DNS
> where you registered your domain.

Pointing DNS won't do a darned thing to help establish IPSec
communication- just 1 static IP on each end is necessary.

> Assuming you can edit your own DNS
> (like godaddy, pair, and many others) once in a while; then
> myhome.domain.tld can be resolvable.  Or, gasp.. put it in your host
> file.  If the IP changes a lot then run a script that asks
> whatsmyip.org
> and output that to your host file periodically, when you are at home.
> Or upload it to a website or something.

Understood- (been there, done that) but that still doesn't help with
IPSec, and to be honest, it's far more time consuming than just
having a single static IP.

> C'mon Ike.  We all know you want to use IPv6, but I am of the
> opinion that this was a lame argument. [grin]

I don't understand, nor do I see how this is a lame argument?

And yes, I do want to use IPv6 and get on with end-to-end
connectivity for everything, (again).

> If a person insists on running an extensive network and provide
> services out of their home over a residential connection, then
> disregard any comment I have made.  They probably won't listen anyway.

Extensive vs. production seems to be your point, and a valid one at
that!

Running production-grade internet services from home, or services
which have $ ramifications (email, for esample, or websites for
orginzations or businesses where uptime is a critical factor), is
foolhardy.

My use-case here is to connect 2 soho lans, between 2 individual's
who are working on various projects together.  Downtime is not a big
deal, but simplicity is.  IPSEC VPN's are a simple, transparent, and
high-performance solution.

My aim is *not* about hosting websites, (in any traditional sense of
what we use 'websites' for today), or god-forbid any critical
infrastructure- (DNS, for example!!!!).

Best,
.ike