[nycbug-talk] DragonFly HAMMER filessytem

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Wed Oct 17 16:43:27 EDT 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Isaac Levy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> On Oct 15, 2007, at 12:18 PM, Pete Wright wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:44:45AM -0400, Yarema wrote:
>>> Ike,
>>>
>>> I've gathered you like the ZFS implementation in FreeBSD.
>>> Check out Matt Dillon's HAMMER filesystem design document:
>>> http://Leaf.DragonFlyBSD.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-10/msg00006.html
>>> ... and why he why he chose not to use Sun's ZFS:
>>> http://Leaf.DragonFlyBSD.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-10/msg00008.html
>
> Excellent docs, thanks Yarema for boiling this down to URL's with the
> simplest explanations!
>

>>> Anyway the December release of DragonFly 2.0 should have a usable
>>> HAMMER
>>> fs.  Should be fun having two kick ass filesystems coming out in
>>> BSDs next
>>> year.
>
> Agreed :)
>
> And to be honest, UFS2 isn't all that bad ;)
>
> Aside from grief as we all begin fsck'ing multi-TB volumes, it's a
> solid performer- and still *the* benchmark classic UNIX filesystem.
> We're lucky in *BSD-land.
>

>> yea this is really exciting!  i think matt hit's the nail on the head
>> here (wow that's a bad pun) having hammer focus on his clustering
>> goals.
>
> I see what Hammer is trying to accomplish, and the clustering/
> replication goals are AMAZING- however, I have one big show-stoppers
> for me using it:
>
> "...A volume is thus limited to 16TB..."

It does look like Matt is planning for the future though, his announcement
includes this:

---
   HAMMER's storage management limits it to 32768 volumes, 32768 clusters
   per volume, and 32768 16K filesystem buffers per cluster.   A volume
   is thus limited to 16TB and a HAMMER filesystem as a whole is limited
   to 524288TB.  HAMMER's on-disk structures are designed to allow future
   expansion through expansion of these limits.  In particular, the volume
   id is intended to be expanded to a full 32 bits in the future and using
   a larger buffer size will also greatly increase the cluster and volume
   size limitations by increasing the number of elements the buffer-
   restricted radix trees can manage."
---

So two things:  only the components are limited to 16TB, a filesystem can
total 524288TB, and the "on-disk structures" are setup such that the 16TB
limit can be raised later without redesigning the whole thing.

Dragonfly should be quite the interesting OS in the next few years - it
sounds like clustering is his goal...

Charles