[nycbug-talk] DragonFly HAMMER filessytem

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Wed Oct 17 20:54:15 EDT 2007

Hey Yarema, All,

On Oct 17, 2007, at 5:26 PM, Yarema wrote:
> Perhaps now would be a good time to drop a note to Matt Dillon
> expressing your concerns.  Maybe he'll expand these limits now
> instead of "in the future".

I just emailed Matt Dillon cold- but perhaps you guys know of a
better dragonfly list to post to?  I have *no clue* where to begin
over there...

Below is the message I sent, in case anybody knows a more appropriate
place to send it to ask(?), feel free to cut/paste/foreword it on!

Rocket-
.ike

--
Begin forwarded message:
> From: Isaac Levy <ike at lesmuug.org>
> Date: October 17, 2007 8:50:28 PM EDT
> To: dillon 'at' apollo 'dot' backplane 'dot' com
> Subject: Hammer Filesystem Max File Size?

Hello Matthew,

My name is ike, and today on the NYC*BUG-talk mailing list, your
designs for the HAMMER filesystem came up... (with excitement, I
should add!)

With that, I was immeadiately struck by a confusing show-stopping
point in my world, size:

 From your design docs post,
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2007-10/msg00006.html

   "A volume is thus limited to 16TB..."

and it later it states,

   "HAMMER's on-disk structures are designed to allow future
expansion through expansion of these limits."

--
I'm working with small-businesses in NYC where today, cheap 10TB
filesystems are being filled quickly- and at current consumption

With that stated, is there any plan for when the expansion in size
for HAMMER filesystem will happen?  The rest of the designed features
seem pretty spectacular!

Thanks in advance for any comments or urls, and good luck out West!

Best,
.ike