[nycbug-talk] Power Consumption (was: FreeBSD on Dell PowerEdge 1900)

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu Oct 18 06:55:28 EDT 2007

Hi Alex, All,

Good info about Xeon power consumption, thanks!  But,

On Oct 18, 2007, at 1:20 AM, Alex Pilosov wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Isaac Levy wrote:
>> These Xeon's eat power something fierce, so they're bloody all
>> over the
>> place, fire sale style...  (especially servers).
> wrong, that applied to Nocona xeons only. the woodcrests aren't bad.
>
> nocona were terrible - from 125 to 180W consumption per CPU,
> woodcrest are
> ~65 to 120.
>
> woodcrest = same as core2duo, which is fairly decent as far as power
> consumption

Does anyone know much about where to look regarding power consumption
for various CPU's?  I'm all thumbs with this stuff, and power is
becoming a huge problem- (at the datacenter, and heck- even at
home...)  Specifically:

- What specs, in general, does a person look at for power
consumption- when buying new hardware?

- Are harddrives generally the same in power consumption?

- Has anyone online created a big matrix of various processor/etc
specs, with regard to power consumption?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or URLS...

Rocket-
.ike